Logitech G710+ Warranty not honored due to "unauthorized reseller from Amazon."

35 of 75 Logitech reviews

This is regarding Order #106-5418742-6535460, a Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard I purchased from amazon.com, the store Outlet Digital.

In short, Logitech will not honor the three-year warranty of this product because I "purchased it from unauthorized reseller from Amazon."

BACKGROUND: The Logitech G710+, being a mechanical keyboard, is supposed to have a long product lifespan, yet key-caps keep breaking off this keyboard. So far I've lost my H-key, My G2 programmable key, My Left-CTRL key and my Number-pad 4 / Left-arrow key. I have contacted Logitech about acquiring or even purchasing replacement key-caps for these keys. Logitech replied that replacement key-caps were unavailable and that my only recourse was to have the keyboard replaced entirely via the warranty. The serial number was marked out (not mentioned in the item listing which claimed "used -- like new") and I had to go through considerable process to get Logitech to take my claim seriously.

I could see Logitech denying the warranty because the keyboard was a refurb (sold to me as "like new", and yet...) but "unauthorized reseller" raises the question of who qualifies as an "authorized reseller". Amazon customers cannot trust Amazon affiliates regarding large ticket items (large ticket for me -- replacement of this keyboard would be a financial hardship) given that parameters of warranties seem to be contingent on whether or not a reseller is "authorized". I suppose one could check before completing any purchase, but this level of vigilance is rather severe for a typical customer.

Had I known that purchasing the product from an Amazon affiliate would invalidate the warranty, I wouldn't have made the purchase. Had I known the keyboard would continue to fall apart after the first key, I wouldn't have made the purchase.

A similar claim regarding failing key-caps can be found here: http://forums.logitech.com/t5/G-Series-Gaming-Keyboards/G710-broken-keys-from-normal-use-plastic-tops-Where-to-get/td-p/1075449

I found a third party that sells keycaps that are suitable, though I'd have to spend $50 on a full set if I were to attempt to replace them with the proper keys (my H doesn't look like an H anymore). Still, I do not intend on trusting Logitech with large-ticket purchases in the future, considering their warranty policy allows them to arbitrarily refuse a warranty.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Reason of review:
Damaged or defective
Preferred solution:
Honor my warranty and replace the keyboard; or provide me with a set of non-brittle keycaps.
Monetary loss:
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
35 of 75 Logitech reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
Bearder

Mar 17, 2015 #959726

I've never heard of any company anywhere honouring the warranty on an item which was advertised and sold as "used", with the serial number blacked out. Expecting any help from logitech in a situation like this was almost as silly as your choice to tell us all about it. Count it as a learning experience, go buy a cheap bubble-dome, and call it a day.

2 0 Reply
uriel-238

Oct 06, 2014 #880748 San Francisco, California, United States

It was sold to me "like new", Jendrick, and I expected that that might shave a couple months off the warranty. You are correct that "Logitech doesn't know who, where, how you got this keyboard" but that shouldn't be an issue unless they are specifically going to issue licenses for authorized dealers. Apple Computer does this, and is hated for it, and is appropriately derided by the resell and tech communities for it's methods of control, with a number of court cases regarding the conflicts between Apple's policies and second-sale doctrine. That Logitech is trying to similarly control the resell vectors of its items is news, and puts their company on the side of questionable ethics when it comes to end-user rights.
And my incident still implies an unreasonable expectation of extreme consumer vigilance by the end user. Do you call the manufacturer before making any large-ticket Amazon purchase to make sure all warranties are in order? I will now. And before I do that, I will avoid Amazon the way that I avoid eBay, since Amazon's own market (which is now of questionable legitimacy) is seamlessly connected to the equivalent of a garage sale.
I'd have filed this as a complaint against Amazon as well, but pissedconsumer and Rip Off Report each only allow for the listing of one offender per filing. Maybe I can file multiple reports on the same incident. I don't know.
If Logitech argued that my unit was refurbished or counterfeit, and was dismissing my warranty claim on
... Show more

0 4 Reply
Jenrick

Oct 05, 2014 #880327

Consider it a lesson learned. You bought an used keyboard trying to save a couple of bucks and got burned.
If you had bought it from Amazon themselves - They are sometimes not the cheapest but have a great return/exchange policy. You find that out quick when you need to exchange something with Amazon.
Logitech doesn't know who, where, how you got this keyboard, but it wasn't from one of the retailers they usually do business with, it was used, and the serial number was marked out. I have dealt with Logitech many of times, back from old G15 keyboard and they are pretty *** accommodating with their warranty.
I'm sorry but it sounds like you got burned trying to save a few bucks buying a used keyboard and now you're trying to figure out how to make the best of it.
What you should have done is contacted Amazon about your serial number marked out when you received your keyboard.
Your best recourse is to contact the seller Outlet Digital.

2 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.