This is regarding Order #106-5418742-6535460, a Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard I purchased from amazon.com, the store Outlet Digital.
In short, Logitech will not honor the three-year warranty of this product because I "purchased it from unauthorized reseller from Amazon."
BACKGROUND: The Logitech G710+, being a mechanical keyboard, is supposed to have a long product lifespan, yet key-caps keep breaking off this keyboard. So far I've lost my H-key, My G2 programmable key, My Left-CTRL key and my Number-pad 4 / Left-arrow key. I have contacted Logitech about acquiring or even purchasing replacement key-caps for these keys. Logitech replied that replacement key-caps were unavailable and that my only recourse was to have the keyboard replaced entirely via the warranty. The serial number was marked out (not mentioned in the item listing which claimed "used -- like new") and I had to go through considerable process to get Logitech to take my claim seriously.
I could see Logitech denying the warranty because the keyboard was a refurb (sold to me as "like new", and yet...) but "unauthorized reseller" raises the question of who qualifies as an "authorized reseller". Amazon customers cannot trust Amazon affiliates regarding large ticket items (large ticket for me -- replacement of this keyboard would be a financial hardship) given that parameters of warranties seem to be contingent on whether or not a reseller is "authorized". I suppose one could check before completing any purchase, but this level of vigilance is rather severe for a typical customer.
Had I known that purchasing the product from an Amazon affiliate would invalidate the warranty, I wouldn't have made the purchase. Had I known the keyboard would continue to fall apart after the first key, I wouldn't have made the purchase.
A similar claim regarding failing key-caps can be found here: http://forums.logitech.com/t5/G-Series-Gaming-Keyboards/G710-broken-keys-from-normal-use-plastic-tops-Where-to-get/td-p/1075449
I found a third party that sells keycaps that are suitable, though I'd have to spend $50 on a full set if I were to attempt to replace them with the proper keys (my H doesn't look like an H anymore). Still, I do not intend on trusting Logitech with large-ticket purchases in the future, considering their warranty policy allows them to arbitrarily refuse a warranty.
More Review Details
- Reason of review:
- Damaged or defective
- Preferred solution:
- Honor my warranty and replace the keyboard; or provide me with a set of non-brittle keycaps.
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Gaming Keyboard
- Review category
- Gadgets and Accessories
You May Also Like
- "I applied for a position with 3D Printing, Inc. in July, 2013. This job posting was found on Careerbuilder.com. On July 11, 2013, I was accepted for the position of..."
- "I got on to their terms and conditions page and in the "termination" section it tells you to go to the website www.allyoucanbooks.com/cancel I did and I got the cancel subscription..."
- "In April 2015, I bought a smartphone on Ebay with a two years Squaretrade warranty plan. The camera got defective after one and a half years, so I file a claim...."
- "Ordered a Tag Heuer Carrera and arrived quickly. It was well packaged. So that part went well. From there it only went downhill: - The "CARRERA" printed on the dial..."
- "I received a pair of shoes that I had ordered online and the box looked like it had been crushed in a trash compactor and then a raccoon tried to..."
- "Hello Everyone. I am an ACN Rep also. Personally I like all the products and services and think they're just great! But I just wanted to say that..."
- " Last week my KitchenAid (owned by Whirlpool) microwave oven ceased to function. It is a high end appliance with a retail cost in the neighborhood of $550. I investigated the..."
- " Today 10/25/2016 we went into the Chili's in Arroyo Grande California and waited for 15 to 20 minutes to be seated we were never acknowledged or never approached. ..."
- "RENEE HAS CURSED ME OUT INSULTED ME RELIGIOUSLY AND RACIALLY WHILE SHE WAS UNDER PRESSURE OF LOSING CONTRACTS I HAVE TO ALSO SEEN HER GO THROUGH THE RESIDENTS PERSONAL BELONGINGS..."